Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My Queer Class

I am taking a queer class at Kennesaw University. The whole title is Queer Pop Culture and one of our assignments is to create a notebook full of queer things in pop culture.
Let me clear up queerness as I'm studying it. It's not necessarily gayness, although it does privilege gayness. Queerness is that which is disruptive and defies the norm. So, for example, HiFructose magazine would be queer. The art it represents is very avaunt garde, it doesn't fall with the normal rules of art and sculpture.
So anything that defies normal rules of society could be considered queer. It's really fun, actually. So I was thinking of other things in society that could be considered queer but nothing came to me.

But anyway, I have started reading Dead Until Dark. I've just been so curious about the TV show True Blood and I'm one of those people that has to read the book before I see the show or movie. This might prove to be a mistake because I did the same thing with Twilight and that was an interesting obsession. Oh well, whatever happens it's proving to be an interesting book.

No comments:

Post a Comment