Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Sense and Sensibility

I have taken a break from The Meaning of Night, to finish reading Sense and Sensibility. I started this for one of my courses last semester and sadly did not finish it. It is not as fast going as Pride and Prejudice or even Persuasion but it is lovely all the same. I love the language of Regency literature and Jane Austen's characters are always endearing. Let me first say that the novel is nearly nothing like the Emma Thompson's 1995 movie adaptation. I understand the necessity of changing certain parts of the novel to make it more palatable for a modern audience, but so much is lost in translation. For example, I never realized how young the Miss Dashwoods were supposed to be, Elinore 19 and Marianne 17, because they were played by actresses so much older (Kate Winslet, maybe not). There were also delicious parts of the novel left out, probably for time purposes, that add to the atmosphere. (Not to spoil anything, but it has to do with the appearance of a certain gentleman the reader thought never to see again).

Also, I have discovered the wonders of the Audiobook. I recently downloaded Forever and a Day by Delilah Marvelle and The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. Both are turning out to be delightful to listen to, the reader for the Hemingway has a very soothing voice. It is a little disorienting because I am so used to holding a book and reading at my own pace, but it was very useful yesterday as I spent the majority of the day sick and in bed and felt that lifting a book was too much trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment