Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

my favorite way to diy skinny jeans

I don't know about you guys, but I'm short. This makes wearing cute flared jeans kinda hard, especially because I'm not in a position to wear heals all of the time. So lately I've been trolling the interwebs looking for a good tutorial on how to convert flared jeans to skinny jeans. The most popular version I have seen involves putting your jeans on inside out and having someone pin them close to your leg.

 The result isn't too bad, symmetry is a problem, one side is a bit more snug than the other; there is also a frustrating pucker around the knee area from wear I took in the flare but I'm sure that patching over it would take care of that...

 However, I had a brain wave about the whole process. I have a pair of skinny jeans that I love but are frankly too small in the waist. By laying the skinny jeans on top of the flared jeans I was able to make some super cute slacks! What follows is how I converted my flares without having to pin them to myself:


 First turn the jeans you want to convert inside out:









Second, lay the skinny jeans, right side out, on top of the inside out flares:


 *note: make sure that it is the inside seams that match up. you will be cutting off the outside of the flare.







This next part is optional but I like to do it because it makes sewing easier; take a ruler and place it along the outside seam of your skinnys, with a sharpie make a line along the flares.


Next, pin the flares together alongside the skinnys just outside the sharpie line:




Finally sew along the line.

While they are inside out, try them on to see how they feel. Hopefully they will feel perfect; if this is the case cut off the extra fabric, turn them right side out and be on with your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment